Nettlestone and Seaview Shed
"NaShers get our teeth into things"
We formed in November 2018. We are affiliated to the UK Men’s Shed Association, but we like to think of ourselves as 'People' in Sheds. Although at present we do not have any women members, we welcome all who are interested in finding out what we are about and what we are doing. Currently we have 14 members, but we hope this will expand to about 20.
Our meetings are currently held from 4 to 6pm at a member's house on the second Wednesday & at the Seagrove Pavilion on the fourth Wednesday of the month. The first is a general meeting to discuss our progress with the new development & projects. The second is a more social event at which we discuss our current projects and members may bring along their own work to show around. Come along and join us, all adults are welcome.
You will find a copy of our constitution and membership form in the documents folder opposite.
We hope to build a new workshop to benefit the community in the parish of Nettlestone & Seaview on the Isle of Wight.
Please contact our Chairman, Rob, if you are interested, details opposite.
Our Aims are:
- To promote social inclusion for public benefit through the provision of a facility particularly for, but not exclusively for, men at risk of being socially excluded.
- To prevent social exclusion by promoting the opportunity for friendships, social engagement and skill sharing in a safe and enjoyable environment, in which members can meet and carry out creative projects acceptable to the Shed and of their own choosing, individually, jointly and for the benefit of the wider community.
- To promote good health and wellbeing to its members through active participation and, from time to time, providing opportunities for relevant health organisations to raise awareness of good health strategies for the benefit of the Shed.
- Continue to assist with local projects
- Build a new shed for workshop and meeting
- Build new community store, if the Community Partnership receives donor funding.
- Assist with the extension of the existing football club stand, if the Football Club raises the material costs.
Details of the plan can be found in the documents file adjacent to this article.
If you wish to make a donation to help us build our worshop, please do so using:
NB please be aware that they don’t charge us for the service but ask for a donation that is added to yours in the ‘Thank you for including a tip box’ where you can change it to ‘Other’ and decide on 0 if you don’t wish to contribute.
Why it's a great idea:
We are all volunteers and part of a national movement to promote Men's health and wellbeing. UK Men’s Sheds Association. There is no shed or shared workshop in the local Parish and we hope to raise funds to build our own workshop & meeting place and a community store to help the local villages of Nettlestone & Seaview, including Nettlestone Primary School, the Community Partnership, Seagrove Pavilion Trust, Seaview Football Club and St Peter’s Church.
We will have a meeting place to promote men's health where invited speakers can talk on subjects such as First Aid, social inclusion, prostate cancer, mental health and loneliness in our members and an ageing population.